© 2024 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY · WNPR
WPKT · WRLI-FM · WEDW-FM · Public Files Contact
ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

JoJo Siwa Will Make History In The 1st Same-Sex Pairing On 'Dancing With The Stars'

In this screengrab, JoJo Siwa speaks during Instagram and Facebook's Creator Week on June 8, in Los Angeles. Siwa will be dancing with a female pro on this season's <em>Dancing with the Stars</em>.
Amy Sussman
/
Getty Images for Instagram and Facebook
In this screengrab, JoJo Siwa speaks during Instagram and Facebook's Creator Week on June 8, in Los Angeles. Siwa will be dancing with a female pro on this season's Dancing with the Stars.

Before stepping on the dance floor, actress and YouTube personality JoJo Siwa is already making history — as the first Dancing with the Stars contestant to be matched with a same-sex partner.

"I am so excited to be a part of 'Dancing With the Stars,' Season 30, and to be dancing with a girl," Siwa said in a tweet. "I think it's so cool."

Siwa's partner will be introduced on the season premiere airing on Sept. 20.

"I think it's cool. I think it breaks a wall that's never been done before," Siwa said during this year's Television Critics Association virtual summer press tour.

"I think it's really special that I get to share with the world that you can love who you love, but now you can dance with who you want to dance with," she said.

Siwa, 18, opened up about her sexuality this January over a series of posts on TikTok and Instagram, saying she's "happy that the world gets to see this side of [her] life."

Siwa has over 60.5 million followers across her social media pages and over 3.6 billion views on YouTube. Last year, Siwa was named one of Time Magazine's100 Most Influential People.

The remaining 13 celebrities for Dancing With The Stars will be announcedon Sept. 8 on ABC's Good Morning America.

Copyright 2021 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.

Jonathan Franklin
Jonathan Franklin is a digital reporter on the News desk covering general assignment and breaking national news.

Stand up for civility

This news story is funded in large part by Connecticut Public’s Members — listeners, viewers, and readers like you who value fact-based journalism and trustworthy information.

We hope their support inspires you to donate so that we can continue telling stories that inform, educate, and inspire you and your neighbors. As a community-supported public media service, Connecticut Public has relied on donor support for more than 50 years.

Your donation today will allow us to continue this work on your behalf. Give today at any amount and join the 50,000 members who are building a better—and more civil—Connecticut to live, work, and play.

Related Content