© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Western Afghanistan has been hit once more by an earthquake

STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:

Western Afghanistan has been hit once more by an earthquake. Here's NPR's Diaa Hadid.

DIAA HADID, BYLINE: Three people died in the most recent earthquake that hit Saturday. Dr. Asif Kabir is a deputy of the public health department in the western province of Herat.

ASIF KABIR: (Non-English language spoken).

HADID: He tells NPR producer Fazelminallah Qazizai, there were few fatalities because so many homes were already destroyed by previous quakes. People were already sleeping in the open. Since this round of earthquakes begun, locals say 10 villages were totally flattened. The Taliban government says more than 1,000 people have died, most women and children.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON: (Crying).

HADID: In video provided by the U.N., one woman weeps as she pushes through rubble with her hands to find what remains.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON: (Crying).

HADID: Nearby, men stand on top of rubble and dig.

(SOUNDBITE OF DIGGING)

HADID: In another video shared on social media, two boys paw through mud bricks. They say they're looking for onions. Folks never had much to begin with around here.

PHILIPPE KROPF: It's absolute devastation.

HADID: Philippe Kropf is a spokesman for the U.N.'s World Food Program. He says, while the U.N. is responding...

KROPF: We are still being hampered by these new earthquakes, by several aftershocks.

HADID: And there was also a sandstorm that blew away tents that people had pitched after their homes were destroyed.

KROPF: So the situation is still evolving, unfortunately, and we currently do not know how many people now need assistance or even how many people have died or been injured.

HADID: And while emergency aid is coming in, it's not clear how long it will last. The U.N. has struggled to raise money for Afghans. Donor countries are being asked to fund the response to several global disasters, and some countries are tired of the Taliban flinging up obstacles like sudden bans on operating. But the need remains dire.

KROPF: Already, one-third of the population doesn't know where their next meal will come from. Now we have this catastrophe on top of this.

HADID: And the earthquakes just don't appear to be stopping as this part of Afghanistan prepares for winter.

Diaa Hadid, NPR News, Mumbai.

(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC) Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by an NPR contractor. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.

Diaa Hadid has covered South Asia and Afghanistan from NPR's bureau in Mumbai since October 2023. She previously spent 6 years in NPR's Islamabad bureau, where she covered Pakistan and Afghanistan. Her favorite stories are about people and moments that capture the complexity of the places she covers.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.