© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

New Hampshire is destroying PFAS in fire-fighting foam

A sign at an AFFF collection event in Concord in August. The state has 10 such events scheduled across the state over the course of the month.
Kate Dario
/
NHPR
A sign at an AFFF collection event in Concord in August. The state has 10 such events scheduled across the state over the course of the month.

By the end of August, New Hampshire plans to collect 10,000 gallons of PFAS laden foam from local fire departments, which will then be destroyed this fall.

Aqueous Film-Forming Foam (or AFFF)has long been used by fire departments, airports and the military to combat flammable liquid fires. It is linked with the increased PFAS contamination in groundwater and subsequent health issues in surrounding communities. PFAS, often called “forever chemicals,” have been linked to cancer, low birth weights, and other health issues.

In New Hampshire, AFFF usage contributed to high levels of PFAS on the Seacoast, near the former Pease Air Force Base in Portsmouth.

The state has contracted with Revive Environmental, an Ohio-based company that has what it calls “PFAS Annihilator” technology that can break down the chemicals. At the end of the month, New Hampshire plans to ship 10,000 gallons of AFFF to be processed at Revive’s facility in Columbus, Ohio.

In 2019, New Hampshire banned the use of AFFF and created the takeback program. PFAS-free alternative firefighting foams are now commercially available.

At a collection event in Concord Tuesday, state officials, firefighters, and Revive representatives spoke of the importance of reducing AFFF exposure and keeping PFAS out of the environment. It’s one of 10 such takeback events planned across the state this month.

“I've had this stuff stored up and no way to deal with it,” said Alan Robidas, a captain with the Concord Fire Department who dropped off his station’s stockpiled AFFF. “It's a big day for us to finally get a known carcinogen out of our fire stations altogether and move on with this.”

Revive CEO David Trueba said destroying the PFAS in AFFF is a more environmentally sound way to dispose of these materials than other alternatives, like storing PFAS in a landfill or a deep well injection site.

“Every gallon of foam collected and destroyed responsibly means you're not going to have a groundwater contamination event,” said Revive CEO David Trueba. “You're going to have healthier citizens, you're going to have cleaner drinking water.”

Currently, Ohio is the only other state also working with Revive to process its AFFF.

According to state officials, Revive uses super critical water oxidation technology to destroy PFAS.

Earlier this week, state officials announced New Hampshire will receive more than $65 million from ongoing litigation against PFAS and AFFF manufacturers over the next several years.

Editor's note: This story was updated to clarify the timeline for the planned destruction of PFAS foam.

Top stories of the day, every day - subscribe today!

* indicates required

As a general assignment reporter, I cover a little bit of everything. I’ve interviewed senators and second graders alike. I particularly enjoy reporting on stories that exist at the intersection of more narrowly defined beats, such as the health impact on children of changing school meals policies, or how regulatory changes at the Public Utilities Commissions affect older people on fixed incomes.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

Related Content