The Scramble Checks in on Two Stories Out of Wisconsin
The ten-part Netflix documentary "Making a Murderer" covers the 2007 conviction in Manitowoc County, Wisc., of Steven Avery for the murder of Teresa Halbach. A secondary story in the film is the interrogation, confession, and later conviction of Avery's nephew, Brendan Dassey, as an accessory to the crime.
In a turn of events that forces to mind Adnan Syed and "Serial," a federal judge on Friday overturned Dassey's conviction on the grounds that his confession was coerced and unconstitutionally obtained. (Read the decision here.)
And: Late Saturday night, riots broke out in a Milwaukee neighborhood where a police officer shot and killed a 23-year-old man earlier in the day.
This hour, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reporter Tom Kertscher joins The Scramble to bring us up to speed on both stories.
And we take your calls.
In between, we look at the election from one angle or another. (Hey. The show's called "The Scramble" for a reason.) Here are a few possibilities:
- In Connecticut, Donald Trump Slams Media, Malloy, and Clinton
- Sacred Heart president defends decision to host Trump event
- Inside the Failing Mission to Save Donald Trump From Himself
- For millennial voters, the Clinton vs. Trump choice ‘feels like a joke’
- For people with the last name Trump, America is not so great
- RNC considers cutting cash to Trump
- How Donald Trump’s bizarre voter-watch effort could get the GOP in trouble
- How Hillary Clinton Became a Better Economic Populist Than Donald Trump
And here are some other stories that caught our eye over the weekend but didn't make it into our show:
- How "Zika-Proof" Hope Solo Became the Biggest Villain of the Rio Olympics
- China dominates table tennis like no country in any other Olympic sport
- NBC Sports Takes On First Summer Olympics In Stamford
- The Forgotten Greatness of Air Hockey
- The Microsoft Office World Championships Feature Blood, Tears, and Very Little Sweat
- Massachusetts Will Consider Moving Time Zones, Dropping Daylight Saving Time
- The Miracle of the Modern Banana
- The Upside to A-Rod
- Tom Kertscher - PolitiFact Wisconsin reporter at The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- Kenneth P. Vogel - Chief investigative reporter for Politico
Colin McEnroe and Betsy Kaplan contributed to this show.