Transcending Gender Roles Across Cultures
As our culture continues to progress, one elephant in the room that seems to be growing harder to ignore is our views on human sexuality. The traditional model of two mutually exclusive gender identities, male and female, is becoming increasingly outdated as we hear about people in our communities and around the world who fall somewhere in between the two (or outside the boxes entirely). Despite the threat of social exclusion and sometimes deadly persecution, stories of those who dare to embrace their own identity continue to increase in number.
This hour, we talk about how our limited perspective could be hindering us as individuals and slowing down economic growth. But first, we hear from leaders and advocates of the LGBTQI community (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer or Questioning, and Intersex) about the difference between gender identity and sexual orientation, what it is like to grow up outside the norm, and the sometimes violent opposition faced by those who are not afraid to be themselves.
- Dr. Joe Wenke - Writer, social critic, LGBTQI rights activist, and resident of Connecticut
- Gisele Alicea (aka GISELE XTRAVAGANZA) - High fashion model
- Dr. Stephanie Budge - Licensed psychologist and visiting assistant professor at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- “Are You A Boy Or Are You A Girl” by The Barbarians
- “Prisoner of Gender” by Fascinating Aida
- “Boy Or A Girl” by Imperial Drag
Colin McEnroe, Betsy Kaplan, and Chion Wolf contributed to this show, which originally aired May 18, 2015.