© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Connecticut Governor, Tribes Clash Again Over The Operation Of Sports Betting

Frankie Graziano
/
Connecticut Public Radio
Rodney Butler, chairman of the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation, said Tuesday he was "disappointed" in the governor's sports betting stance. He wants the state to give his tribe, along with the Mohegan tribe, exclusive rights to sports betting.

Talks between the governor’s office and the state’s two federally recognized tribes over the rights to sports betting are at an impasse.

Rather than a large omnibus gaming bill introduced by legislators, Gov. Ned Lamont supports a “narrow, stand-alone” sports betting bill that gets the Connecticut Lottery and off-track-betting vendor Sportech in on the action in addition to the Mashantucket Pequot and Mohegan tribes, according to a statement issued Tuesday.

“The governor supports the latter approach because it is simpler, focuses exclusively on sports betting, and is therefore more achievable in this short legislative session,” said Max Reiss, Lamont’s director of communications.

But the governor’s stance isn’t supported by the tribes. They say existing gaming compacts with the state give them -- and only them -- the rights to operate sports betting in Connecticut.

Rodney Butler, chairman of the Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Nation, said he won’t back the narrowly focused bill.

“Because it goes in the face of our agreements that we have with the state and that we’ve had that have been incredibly prosperous for the state and for the tribes for almost 30 years,” Butler said.

“If you have those agreements in place and you believe that we can move forward with sports betting, why not do it with your existing partners under the current agreements that we have?”

Earlier in the day, Butler told lawmakers at a public hearing in Hartford that the tribes would stop giving the state 25% of its gross slot machine revenue if Connecticut didn’t recognize the tribes’ claim to exclusivity. Last year, that cut was $255 million.

The tribal nations support a bill being pushed by state Sen. Cathy Osten (D-Sprague) and other Senate Democrats that makes the tribes the sole operators of sports betting in Connecticut.

When Osten spoke at the hearing, she was effusive in her praise of Butler and the two tribal nations, giving them a shoutout for delivering what she said was $9 billion in state revenue.

“I want to thank you for employing my neighbors and my friends and the people in the state of Connecticut, and I want to thank you, as the co-chair of [the General Assembly’s Appropriations Committee], for providing the single largest dollar amount than any other corporation in the state of Connecticut -- bar none -- by probably almost 90%.”

The proposal also calls for a casino to be built in Bridgeport under the joint tribal venture of Mashantucket Mohegan Connecticut or MMCT. It authorizes the venture to operate three “entertainment zone facilities” across the state where people could gamble.

Frankie Graziano is the host of 'The Wheelhouse,' focusing on how local and national politics impact the people of Connecticut.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

Connecticut Public’s journalism is made possible, in part by funding from Jeffrey Hoffman and Robert Jaeger.