© 2023 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY · WNPR
WPKT · WRLI-FM · WEDW-FM · Public Files Contact
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

Cause of blaze that killed firefighter goes undetermined

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — The cause of a fire that killed a New Haven firefighter a year ago could not be determined but it does not appear a crime was involved, police said Thursday.

Ricardo Torres Jr., 30, died of asphyxia from the fire inside a two-story home on May 12, 2021. Fellow firefighters found him unresponsive on the second floor after he radioed that he was under duress.

On Thursday, the anniversary of the death, New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker joined firefighters at a memorial ceremony at the station where Torres had been assigned.

The fire started in the basement of the home, but the cause remains unknown because of the extent of the damage and a lack of evidence, state police said in a report on their investigation.

Another firefighter who was rescued from the building suffered injuries that required a lengthy recovery, authorities said

The Associated Press

Stand up for civility

This news story is funded in large part by Connecticut Public’s Members — listeners, viewers, and readers like you who value fact-based journalism and trustworthy information.

We hope their support inspires you to donate so that we can continue telling stories that inform, educate, and inspire you and your neighbors. As a community-supported public media service, Connecticut Public has relied on donor support for more than 50 years.

Your donation today will allow us to continue this work on your behalf. Give today at any amount and join the 50,000 members who are building a better—and more civil—Connecticut to live, work, and play.

Related Content