The Nose looks at the BBC’s 100 greatest TV series of the century, Netflix’s ‘Maid,’ and more
This week, BBC Culture dropped its list of “The 100 Greatest TV series of the 21st Century.” No. 1 is exactly what you’d think it’d be, but below that, there’s plenty to argue about. (Deadwood at 18?! Horse pucky.) The Nose, over the years, has covered many of the shows on the list, by the way: Atlanta, Black Mirror, Fleabag, Game of Thrones, The Good Place, I May Destroy You, Mindhunter, OJ: Made in America, The Queen’s Gambit, Schitt’s Creek, Stranger Things, The Underground Railroad, Watchmen… to name a few.
And, speaking of shows: Maid is a Netflix limited series inspired by Stephanie Land’s memoir, Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother’s Will to Survive, and created by Molly Smith Metzler. Netflix describes it this way: “After fleeing an abusive relationship, a young mother finds a job cleaning houses as she fights to provide for her child and build them a better future.” Its 10 episodes dropped on October 1.
Some other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- Alec Baldwin Fired Prop Gun That Killed Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, Injured Director
- Hartford names city’s first troubadour and flow artist; Khaiim Kelly and Lael Marie Saez will serve three-year terms
- The Many Decades of Bond “How has someone who is a borderline rapist, murderer, and potential sociopath, endured through all these decades?”
- Michael Caine Says His Latest Film Is His Last, but He’s Not Retired The 88-year-old screen legend says he’s transitioning to writing, while his representatives walk back his remarks.
- Americans Are Overworked And Over Work “As I’ve gotten older, work is definitely [still] really important, but I think I’ve started to see it less as my identity.”
- It’s Quitting Season
- ‘I Screwed Up’: Netflix’s Ted Sarandos Addresses Dave Chappelle Fallout
- Netflix Staff Raised Concerns About Chappelle Special Before Its Release The company is dealing with an internal outcry unprecedented in its history.
- Dave Chappelle’s views on gender are problematic and hurtful
- Addison Rae Was Permanently Banned From TikTok For Literally Like A Day, So I Guess She Can Go Back To Dancing Now “Time to get a job.”
- Why ‘Y: The Last Man’ Was Abruptly Canceled Six years after landing at FX for development, the drama based on the beloved comic series was axed before it could even finish its first and (possibly) only season.
- Y: The Last Man Might Get Resurrected On HBO Max
- The Huge Box Office ForHalloween KillsSeemingly Says A Lot About Peacock
- Succession at Scholastic Seemed to Be a Shock, Even to the New Chairwoman The powerhouse children’s publisher, known for Harry Potter, had been passed from father to son until Iole Lucchese, a top executive, was given control.
- Top 40 New Wave Albums
- The BelieverLiterary Magazine Shutting Down Issue No. 139, due out in February 2022, will be its last
- Kanye West is now officially ‘Ye’
- ‘Handmaid’s Tale’ Author Margaret Atwood Faces Backlash for Gender Neutrality Tweet
- MLB Just Tried a Bunch of Experimental Rules in the Minors. How Well Did They Work? Several minor leagues served as the guinea pig for ideas that could improve the pace of play, including robo umps, pushing the mound back, and bigger bases. Were they effective?
- ‘The Sopranos’: WarnerMedia In Talks With David Chase About HBO Max Prequel Series
- WhyGroundhog DayLeft Harold Ramis And Bill Murray’s Friendship In Shambles
- Royal Caribbean to offer 274-night cruise — the world’s longest
- Rand Richards Cooper - A fiction writer, contributing editor at Commonweal, and the restaurant critic for the Hartford Courant
- Mercy Quaye - Founder and principal consultant for The Narrative Project
Colin McEnroe and Cat Pastor contributed to this show.