The Nose looks at the SAG strike, the Emmy noms, and ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3’
The Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists has joined the Writers Guild of America on strike. It’s the first SAG strike since 1980 (which strike was largely about the oncoming home video boom). And it’s the first dual actors-writers strike since 1960 (when Ronald Reagan was president of SAG and the strike was mostly about residuals for movies licensed to television).
Also: The Emmy nominations are out.
And: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is the 32nd movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and the second movie (of an expected seven) in the MCU’s Phase Five. It is written and directed by James Gunn, who has written and directed all three Guardians of the Galaxy movies, and who was fired and rehired during preproduction of Vol. 3 in 2018. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is the second-highest grossing movie of 2023 so far.
Taneisha Duggan’s endorsement:
- Liturgy|Order|Bridge at Christ Church Cathedral in Hartford
Helder Mira’s endorsements:
Bill Yousman’s endorsements:
- The Twittering Machine by Richard Seymour
- Antisocial Media: How Facebook Disconnects Us and Undermines Democracy by Siva Vaidhyanathan
- The Town with Matthew Belloni
- The Watch
- the audiobook of Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane, as narrated by Robin Miles
- the audiobook of Demon Copperhead by Barbara Kingsolver, as narrated by Charlie Thurston
Some other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- We Had Relationship Therapists React To The Alleged Jonah Hill Texts To His Ex-Girlfriend, Sarah Brady “[It’s] not simply like, ‘This is a thing that I feel,’ but ‘This is the thing that I feel plus therapy has condoned this way of feeling.’”
- The Twitter Watch Party Is Over Ten years after “Sharknado” spun Twitter and TV together, the online water cooler is running dry.
- Kristen Bell Shared A Photo Of Her Friends Eating Dinner, And It’s The Most Intense Guest List Ever Thanks for the invite.
- Ryan Murphy Muse David Corenswet Is Superman
- Wait, Was Napoleon Hot? Ridley Scott’s new biopic certainly makes it seem like he was.
- How to Write Music for Rolling Boulders
- Harrison Ford and the Ravages of Time
- Go Inside Stephen Sondheim’s $7M Manhattan Townhouse The East Midtown home features a music studio on the second floor with a “music library, wood-burning fireplace and baby grand piano.”
- How Steven Soderbergh and Ed Solomon Straightened Out ‘Full Circle’ Their new crime thriller for Max is loaded with twists and layers. But it is actually much simpler than what they originally conceived.
- Federal Reserve credits Taylor Swift with boosting hotel revenues through her blockbuster Eras Tour “Taylor Swift is a force to be reckoned with,” one local tourism official said, as the pop superstar draws legions of fans nationwide.
- Taneisha Duggan: Associate producer at Octopus Theatricals
- Helder Mira: Multimedia producer at Trinity College and co-host of the So Pretentious podcast
- Bill Yousman: Professor of media studies at Sacred Heart University
The Colin McEnroe Show is available as a podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Listen Notes, or wherever you get your podcasts. Subscribe and never miss an episode!
Colin McEnroe and Cat Pastor contributed to this show.