© 2024 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Former CT lawmaker Michael DiMassa, who stole coronavirus aid, sees his prison sentence delayed

 File New Haven, Ct. – 10/20/2021 – Then state Rep. Michael DiMassa leaves the United States Courthouse after he was arrested by the FBI in a probe of misuse of COVID relief funds. Photograph by Mark Mirko | mmirko@courant.com
Mark Mirko
The Hartford Courant
FILE, 2021: Michale DiMassa leaves the United States Courthouse in New Haven after he was arrested by the FBI in a probe of misuse of COVID relief funds.

A former Connecticut state representative who was sentenced to 27 months in prison for stealing more than $1.2 million in coronavirus relief funds was recently allowed by a federal judge to delay his prison sentence.

Michael DiMassa was ordered to report to authorities on Sept. 7. A federal judge granted the extension on July 7 due to the expected upcoming birth of DiMassa's child.

DiMassa plead guilty in 2022 and was sentenced to 27 months in prison followed by five years of supervised release for his role in a scheme to steal more than $1.2 million from the city of West Haven.

Most of that money was coronavirus relief aid, which DiMassa used to fund his gambling addiction.

DiMassa’s date to surrender to federal authorities was originally scheduled for Monday.

DiMassa's wife, Lauren DiMassa, was also convicted for her role in the fraud case. She is currently serving her sentence in Texas and is expected to be released on Nov. 21.

The couple is expecting their baby to be delivered in two-to-four weeks. DiMassa, according to Judge Omar A. Williams, plans on having the child live in Connecticut.

West Haven Mayor Nancy Rossi’s office was reached for comment, but Rossi did not respond.

Gov. Ned Lamont issued a statement Monday saying "Michael DiMassa betrayed the public’s trust, stole from taxpayers, and disgraced his office. Today, he will rightfully begin paying the consequences for his actions,” Lamont said.

Lamont’s office was reached for follow up comment when it was confirmed DiMassa would surrender at a later date, but did not immediately respond.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. Correction: Due to an editing error, a previous version of this story misstated the date the judge approved postponing Michael DiMassa's surrender date. The decision was issued on July 7.

Stand up for civility

This news story is funded in large part by Connecticut Public’s Members — listeners, viewers, and readers like you who value fact-based journalism and trustworthy information.

We hope their support inspires you to donate so that we can continue telling stories that inform, educate, and inspire you and your neighbors. As a community-supported public media service, Connecticut Public has relied on donor support for more than 50 years.

Your donation today will allow us to continue this work on your behalf. Give today at any amount and join the 50,000 members who are building a better—and more civil—Connecticut to live, work, and play.