The Nose looks at ‘Un-Becoming Your Parents,’ Neil Young v. Spotify, and ‘The Book of Boba Fett’
This week’s Nose isn’t going to point out our houses, landmarks, or major highways during takeoff.
It’s not every ad campaign that can boast its own group of devoted fans, but Progressive’s Un-Becoming Your Parents television commercials seem to have staked out their own space in the popular culture.
And: Neil Young gave Spotify an ultimatum — you “can have [Joe] Rogan or Young. Not both.” Spotify chose Rogan.
And finally: The Book of Boba Fett is a Disney+ limited series created by Jon Favreau. It is a spinoff from Favreau’s The Mandalorian, a direct sequel to Return of the Jedi, and a direct prequel and sequel to The Mandalorian.
Some other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- ‘Hannibal’ actor Gaspard Ulliel has died in a ski accident at age 37
- Peter Robbins, who voiced Charlie Brown in the 1960s, has died
- “Bambi” Is Even Bleaker Than You Thought The original book is far more grisly than the beloved Disney classic—and has an unsettling message about humanity.
- The Tao of Wee Man His world was radically altered by “Jackass.” But now, Jason Acuña has harnessed his fame to live the life of his dreams.
- Is Old Music Killing New Music? Old songs now represent 70 percent of the U.S. music market. Even worse: The new-music market is actually shrinking.
- Cult Classic ‘Fight Club’ Gets a Very Different Ending in China Someone tried very hard to please Chinese movie censors.
- The people deciding to ditch their smartphones
- The rise of the post-credits scene, explained Marvel turned its post-credits scenes into a pop culture phenomenon.
- A ‘The Batman’ Controversy Unsettles a Portion of Fandom A vocal minority of fans took issue with comments from star Robert Pattinson, who confirmed his Dark Knight does not kill, yet such a rule has existed for decades in the comics.
- My Bologna Has a Face Mask Oscar Mayer’s latest gimmick is just that
- Mcminn County Bans “Maus,” Pulitzer Prize-Winning Holocaust Book
- Amy Schneider’s ‘Jeopardy!’ run has come to an end after 40 games
- The Internet Is Eating Wordle Alive Nothing should be easier to ignore than the game and its fans. And yet, here we are.
- Twitter boots a bot that revealed Wordle’s upcoming words to the game’s players
- 2022 DGA And WGA Award Nominations For Feature Films Include Dune, Licorice Pizza & More
- Pedro Soto - President and CEO of Hygrade Precision Technologies
- Bill Yousman - Professor of Media Studies at Sacred Heart University
Colin McEnroe and Cat Pastor contributed to this show.