© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Britain's former Prince Andrew is arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Britain's Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025.
Kirsty Wigglesworth
/
AP
Britain's Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, looks round as he leaves after attending the Easter Matins Service at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, England, April 20, 2025.

Updated February 19, 2026 at 8:43 AM EST

U.K. police arrested the former Prince Andrew on Thursday, on suspicion of "misconduct in public office." 

In a statement, King Charles III, the brother of the former prince, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, spoke of his "deepest concern" at learning of the news, and called for a "full, fair and proper process."

"Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," Charles said in the statement, pledging his support and cooperation with the investigation.

On Thursday morning, police said that they arrested a man in his 60s and that he was in custody, while officers were carrying out searches at his addresses in the counties of Berkshire and Norfolk.

News photographs showed cars arriving at the royal Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, on the morning of Mountbatten-Windsor's 66th birthday.

Last week, Thames Valley Police, which serves areas west of London, said they were examining claims that the former Prince Andrew sent confidential trade reports to disgraced business mogul Jeffrey Epstein during his time as the U.K.'s envoy for international trade.

Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal title over his friendship with the late sex offender. He admits ties to Epstein and settled a lawsuit with one of Epstein's underage victims, but has previously strenuously denied any wrongdoing on any matters related to Epstein.

A statement released by Thames Valley police read: "As part of the investigation, we have today (19/2) arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk. The man remains in police custody at this time."

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: "Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time."

Copyright 2026 NPR

Lauren Frayer covers India for NPR News. In June 2018, she opened a new NPR bureau in India's biggest city, its financial center, and the heart of Bollywood—Mumbai.
Leila Fadel is a national correspondent for NPR based in Los Angeles, covering issues of culture, diversity, and race.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

Related Content