Not Necessarily The Nose: The movies, mysteries, and marvels of Christopher Nolan
In the 21 years since Christopher Nolan’s Memento hit theaters, his movies have grossed more than $5 billion, earned 36 Academy Award nominations, and won 11 Oscars.
His Dark Knight films helped spark the comic book movie renaissance we’re still experiencing, and his seventh feature, Inception, is the highest-grossing totally standalone live action movie ever made.
This hour, a look at the filmmaker behind Batman Begins, Dunkirk, Interstellar, Tenet, and more: Christopher Nolan.
Some other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- Emilio Delgado, ‘Luis’ for 44 years on ‘Sesame Street,’ dies at 81
- Jane Campion apologizes for comments made about Venus and Serena Williams
- Pete Davidson headed to space on Blue Origin craft
- Senate Unanimously Passes Bill to Make Daylight Saving Time Permanent The draft law still needs to pass the House.
- Netflix Will Prompt Subscribers to Pay for Users Outside Their Households in New Test to Address Unauthorized Password Sharing
- Why bad driving habits from the pandemic might be here to stay
- Kanye West Suspended From Instagram For Violating Harassment, Bullying Policy The rapper has targeted his ex Kim Kardashian, her new boyfriend Pete Davidson and comedian Trevor Noah in recent posts.
- An Educator Read ‘I Need a New Butt!’ to Children. Then He Was Fired. Toby Price, an assistant principal at an elementary school in Mississippi, read the book to a class of second graders over Zoom. “I am a firm believer that reluctant readers need the silly, funny books to hook them in,” he said.
- The Age of Everything Culture Is Here When anything on social media can become A Thing, trends take on an unnerving shape and velocity.
- It’s Time To Rebuild the Fourth Wall Characters in film and television must stop speaking directly to us.
- ‘John Carter’ Changed Hollywood, but Not in the Way Disney Hoped Ten years ago, the property that inspired ‘Star Wars’ and ‘Avatar’ bombed — and now both those franchises are in the Disney family.
- The Things I’m Afraid to Write About Fear of professional exile has kept me from taking on certain topics. What gets lost when a writer mutes herself?
- Kayleigh Donaldson: A pop culture writer and critic
- James Hanley: Co-founder of Cinestudio at Trinity College
- Tom Shone: Author of The Nolan Variations: The Movies, Mysteries, and Marvels of Christopher Nolan
Colin McEnroe and Cat Pastor contributed to this show, which originally aired September 2, 2021.