© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Report: UMass Amherst Will Spend $8M On Football Team This Year

In this 2010 file photo, Massachusetts quarterback Kyle Havens (12) looks to pass as Holy Cross defender Mude Ohimor closes in at a game in Amherst. (Matthew Cavanaugh/AP)
In this 2010 file photo, Massachusetts quarterback Kyle Havens (12) looks to pass as Holy Cross defender Mude Ohimor closes in at a game in Amherst. (Matthew Cavanaugh/AP)

A report projects that the University of Massachusetts Amherst will more than double its net spending on its football program this fiscal year over what it spent in fiscal year 2011, the last year before the university moved up to the highest football level.

In fiscal year 2011, UMass spent a net $3.1 million on football. This fiscal year, it’s projected to spend $8.6 million.

The figures matter because of the controversy on campus about the university’s move to the Football Bowl Subdivision, the highest Division I level for collegiate football.

The controversy at UMass is not about how well the team is doing. After it hired Mark Whipple as head coach of the Minutemen this year, the team improved by almost every measure. It won three games, compared to one last year; it scored 328 points, compared to last year’s 140; and it scored 45 touchdowns, compared to the previous year’s 15.

But the argument is not about what’s going on on the field. It’s about the money — and how you count it.

The UMass Athletic Department projects $5.1 million will be spent on the team this year.

But a report by a Faculty Senate committee, released Thursday, says once you count the cost of marketing; buses to send students to Gillette Stadium for some home games; scholarships; debt payments for improvements to McGuirk Stadium in Amherst; and the costs of a new football training facility there, the university is actually projected spend $8.6 million on the team this year.

“The university, in the way it operates, isn’t focused on making a profit for any of its operations,” said Ed Blaguszewski, a university spokesman.

Blaguszewski said UMass would have improved the stadium and built the training center even if the team had not risen to FBS level.

The release of the report led to a tumultuous Faculty Senate debate. Chancellor Kumble Subbaswamy said the faculty has no power to decide what to do with the football program. That decision is for him and for the university system’s Board of Trustees to make.

The Faculty Senate ultimately defeated a motion Thursday to poll the entire faculty on whether UMass should pull out of FBS football.

Correction: An earlier version of this report used inaccurate language in describing university expenditures on the football team. We regret the error and have removed the audio.

Earlier:

Copyright 2014 WBUR

Fred Thys

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.