© 2023 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY · WNPR
WPKT · WRLI-FM · WEDW-FM · Public Files Contact
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Available On Air Stations

5 students taken to hospital after eating edible with THC

Authorities say five students at a Connecticut magnet school have been taken to the hospital as a precaution after eating chocolate containing the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana and becoming ill.

Acting New Haven Police Chief Renee Dominguez says a 13-year-old student at the Bishop Woods School gave the edibles on Friday to four other students, who are 12 and 13. Mayor Justin Elicker says some of the students vomited and some became lethargic. All are expected to recover.

On Thursday, a 13-year-old student at a Hartford school apparently overdosed on the opioid fentanyl and is reported to be in grave condition. Police investigations are ongoing in both cities.

The Associated Press is one of the largest and most trusted sources of independent newsgathering, supplying a steady stream of news to its members, international subscribers and commercial customers. AP is neither privately owned nor government-funded; instead, it's a not-for-profit news cooperative owned by its American newspaper and broadcast members.

Stand up for civility

This news story is funded in large part by Connecticut Public’s Members — listeners, viewers, and readers like you who value fact-based journalism and trustworthy information.

We hope their support inspires you to donate so that we can continue telling stories that inform, educate, and inspire you and your neighbors. As a community-supported public media service, Connecticut Public has relied on donor support for more than 50 years.

Your donation today will allow us to continue this work on your behalf. Give today at any amount and join the 50,000 members who are building a better—and more civil—Connecticut to live, work, and play.

Related Content