© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

A 54-year-old U.S. curler sets a new American Winter Olympics age record

USA's Richard Ruohonen looks on during the curling men's round robin between USA and Switzerland during the 2026 Milan Cortina Winter Games at the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium on Thursday.
Odd Andersen
/
AFP via Getty Images
USA's Richard Ruohonen looks on during the curling men's round robin between USA and Switzerland during the 2026 Milan Cortina Winter Games at the Cortina Curling Olympic Stadium on Thursday.

MILAN — Rich Ruohonen has been trying to get to the Olympics for almost 40 years. At 54 years old, he finally made it — as an alternate for Team Casper, the Gen-Z curlers representing the U.S at the 2026 Winter Games.

"Just to throw one rock would be the greatest moment of my life. My kids know it, and my wife knows it as well. So they're not going to be mad at me for saying it wasn't my wedding day," Ruohonen said at a press conference earlier this week.

On Thursday, Ruohonen got his moment — and set a new age record, becoming the oldest U.S. athlete to ever compete in the Winter Olympics. He broke an age record last set by figure skater Joseph Savage, who was 52 when he competed in the 1932 Lake Placid Winter Olympics.

After the 7th end, in a match against Switzerland's Team Schwaller, the U.S. was trailing by six points and had little chance of winning. Ruohonen subbed in at the start of the 8th end, throwing two rocks and sweeping a path for others thrown by his teammates.

"Yeah, baby, good shot Rich," shouted skip Danny Casper, as his rock settled into a spot as the corner guard.

The U.S. conceded the match soon after. Team Casper's current record is 1-1, after winning a match against Czechia on Wednesday. They have seven more matches to go in the preliminary round.

"We're not doing him a favor by putting him in. He deserves it," Casper said after the match, "They're looking at me after that end, like, should we put him in? Like it's something that was not the most obvious decision ever. It was already on our mind, and glad to get (him) in."

Ruohonen's attempts to get to the Olympics date to 1988 when curling was a trial sport at the Calgary Winter Games. In the decades since, he's continued trying. "I've narrowly missed the Olympics numerous times, including four years ago…[when] my men's team took third. I've had so much heartbreak," Ruohonen says.

"To get here and throw two rocks is all I wanted, and it means that perseverance pays off," he says. "All those times when maybe the luck wasn't going my way, it went my way this time."


Want more Olympics updates? Subscribe here to get our newsletter, Rachel Goes to the Games, delivered to your inbox for a behind-the-scenes look at the 2026 Milan Cortina Winter Olympics.

Copyright 2026 NPR

Pien Huang is a health reporter on the Science desk. She was NPR's first Reflect America Fellow, working with shows, desks and podcasts to bring more diverse voices to air and online.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

Related Content