© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Military aircrew in 'stable condition' following midair collision at Idaho air show

The Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho hosted the the Gunfighter Skies Air Show featuring a variety of military aircraft. During the show, two jets collided and crashed into the ground. All of the crew are in "stable condition," according to the base.
Senior Airman Xavier Wilson
/
366th Fighter Wing
The Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho hosted the the Gunfighter Skies Air Show featuring a variety of military aircraft. During the show, two jets collided and crashed into the ground. All of the crew are in "stable condition," according to the base.

The Mountain Home Air Force Base in Idaho went into lockdown and emergency responders rushed to the area on Sunday following an "aircraft incident" in which two military jets collided at an air show, according to the base and video posted to social media.

Bystander video posted to Facebook showed two jets making contact in the air, then twisting and careening in the sky before hitting the ground and erupting in a plume of dirt and fire. Four parachutes could be seen floating above the crash site. The Idaho Statesman newspaper reported that an announcer at the air show told the crowd that the four Navy pilots were "found safe."

"The aircrew involved in the incident are in stable condition," the base later reported.

After the incident, the Mountain Home Air Force Base announced that the remainder of the two-day Gunfighter Skies Air Show was being canceled and "an investigation is underway."

"Please DO NOT travel to or attempt to access Mountain Home Air Force Base as a spectator, as the event will no longer be taking place," the Mountain Home Police Department announced online. "We understand many were looking forward to this event and appreciate your understanding and cooperation."

The base, located about an hour southeast of Boise, Idaho, is home to the Air Force's 366th Fighter Wing, known as the "Gunfighters."

The event included performances involving a restored World War II-era bomber, Black Hawk helicopters and modern military aircraft.

"This event attaches a face to the mission, showcasing the skilled professionals and dedicated Airmen who make airpower possible," said Col. D. Ray Gunter, commander of the 366th Fighter Wing, when announcing the show earlier this year.

The last time the base hosted an air show in 2018, hang glider pilot Dan Buchanan died following a crash. During a 2003 air show performance at the base, an Air Force pilot safely ejected just before his F-16 crashed.

Copyright 2026 NPR

Tom Dreisbach is a correspondent on NPR's Investigations team focusing on breaking news stories.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

Related Content