© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Iran continues crackdown on anti-government protesters despite Trump's threat

A MARTÍNEZ, HOST:

U.S. and Iranian officials have ended another round of negotiations without an agreement on Iran's nuclear program. With a fleet of U.S. warships and aircraft still parked in the Middle East, Iran has continued its crackdown on those who took part in anti-government protests last month. Human rights groups say that government forces killed thousands of people in those protests and tens of thousands have been arrested. Some of those protesters face the death penalty. Durrie Bouscaren reports.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

UNIDENTIFIED JUDGE: (Speaking Farsi).

DURRIE BOUSCAREN, BYLINE: In this video, which aired on a state-run broadcaster in Iran, 18-year-old Ehsan Hosseinipour Hessarlou stands in a courtroom wearing a blue-striped prison jumpsuit.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

UNIDENTIFIED JUDGE: (Speaking Farsi).

BOUSCAREN: "How many Molotov cocktails did you have?" the judge asks.

EHSAN HOSSEINIPOUR HESSARLOU: (Speaking Farsi).

BOUSCAREN: Hosseinipour Hessarlou says he had two, that he threw them inside a mosque during the protests. Activists say these confessions are forced and should not be considered true. They say reports of torture and threats against family members to extract confessions are well-documented and widespread in Iran's prison system.

MAHMOOD AMIRY-MOGHADDAM: All of them are sentenced based on forced confessions.

BOUSCAREN: Mahmood Amiry-Moghaddam is the director of Iran Human Rights, an organization based in Norway. They identified at least 26 protesters who have been sentenced to death in recent weeks. And they fear hundreds more are at risk of execution.

AMIRY-MOGHADDAM: What we think is that, most probably, the actual number of those who have already received the sentence is much higher, given the limitations we have in gathering this kind of information.

BOUSCAREN: Amiry-Moghaddam's organization has highlighted Ehsan Hosseinipour Hessarlou's case in particular. The 18-year-old is one of three teenagers accused of setting a fire in a mosque on January 8 near Tehran. Two members of the paramilitary forces were allegedly killed in the blaze. Hosseinipour Hessarlou's family's attorney says he's innocent, that he was arrested 2 hours before the fire. And he doesn't even appear in CCTV footage released as evidence, they say. Amiry-Moghaddam says, as far as he knows, none of the death sentences announced publicly have been carried out yet, but the clock is ticking.

AMIRY-MOGHADDAM: We are concerned that some of these people will be executed in the coming days and weeks.

BOUSCAREN: Capital punishment is used in Iran. And in recent weeks, the government has hung people previously convicted of drug offenses. In an interview with CBS News in January, Trump was questioned on his promise to intervene if Iran killed protesters.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: We will take very strong action if they do such a thing, we will take very strong action.

BOUSCAREN: The United States has dispatched two aircraft carrier groups to the region. Trump has threatened to attack if nuclear talks fail. But within Iran, Amiry-Moghaddam says that airing these trials and publicly announcing these executions is a way to tamp down dissent in the meantime.

AMIRY-MOGHADDAM: As we have seen in these protests, the aim has been to terrorize the whole society, to kill as many as possible and to set an example so that people don't come out again.

BOUSCAREN: But this week, large crowds of students at three separate universities took to the streets defying the harshest crackdown on protesters in a generation.

For NPR News, I'm Durrie Bouscaren, Istanbul.

(SOUNDBITE OF SAM PREKOP'S "A CLOUD TO THE BACK") Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by an NPR contractor. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.

Durrie Bouscaren

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.