Celebrate The Best Jazz Of 2018!
2018 has been a doozy of a year. And 2019, well, who knows? But you know what would make you feel a little bit better? Listening to our esteemed panelists and some of their favorite jazz tunes of 2018, a show tradition we've had since 2014.
Here's the playlist, in order of appearance:
- Kenny Barron Quintet: “Blue Waters” from Concentric Circles
- Brad Mehldau Trio: “Friends” from Seymour Reads the Constitution!
- Noah Baerman Resonance Ensemble: “Keep On (reprise)” from The Rock and the Redemption
- Sunna Gunnlaugs: “A Major Deal” from Ancestry
- Wayne Shorter: “Prometheus Unbound” from Emanon
- Orrin Evans: “Flip The Script” from Presence (featuring the Captain Black Big Band)
- Todd Marcus: “Ground Zero (at Penn. & North)” from On These Streets
- Charles Lloyd & The Marvels + Lucinda Williams: “We've Come Too Far To Turn Around” from Vanished Gardens
- Andrew Hadro: “Over Shadow Hill Way (Excerpt 1)” from For Us, The Living II: Marcescence
- Freddy Cole: "First Began" from My Mood is You
Colin mentioned this great show he did with Noah and friends from Watkinson, all about what jazz is, and how it works. Listen to it here!
Also visit Claire’s Continuum, a commissioning program created in loving memory of Claire Randall, a Program Associate with RMI and a vital team member from the organization’s inception in 2013.
- Jen Allen - pianist, composer, arranger and educator,and member of the BMI Workshop in NYC and is faculty at Trinity College
- Gene Seymour - critic-reviewer for hire, writing pieces for CNN.com's Opinion section, also contributes essays to BookForum & The Baffler
- Noah Baerman - pianist, composer, educator, and founder & Artistic Director of the nonprofit Resonant Motion. He also directs the Jazz Ensemble at Wesleyan University
Colin McEnroe and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.