© 2025 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Connecticut Grocers Will Limit In-Store Customers Over COVID-19 Concerns

Joe Amon
/
Connecticut Public/NENC
Maintenance supervisor Micali Marison (left) loads empty boxes of bathroom tissue for maintenance man Calvil Leslie (right) after restocking shelves at a Walmart in Avon, Connecticut, on March 13.

Connecticut grocers said Tuesday they’ll limit the number of customers allowed inside their grocery stores. The new guidelines will cap crowds at no more than 50% of a store’s local fire code capacity and will be enforced by store staff.

The Connecticut Food Association said the goal is to encourage customers to limit grocery trips and, if at all possible, to go alone.

“We don’t think it leads to anything much different than what people are seeing,” said Wayne Pesce, president of the association, which represents a number of large grocery chains across the state. 

Pesce said some of the member stores agreeing to the changes include Stop & Shop, Big Y, ShopRite, Price Rite, Adams Hometown Foods, Geissler’s, Highland Park Market and IGA. “We’ve all agreed that we need to do more to help limit the amount of people and help keep people safe,” he said.

Pesce said stores will self-police the measures by assigning staff to count customers entering and leaving a store. 

He said grocery retailers across Connecticut have been recovering from recent panic-infused spikes in consumer demand. And he doesn’t believe the capacity changes will lead to major access issues for most consumers. 

“We’re not looking to have lines outside of stores,” Pesce said. “That doesn’t solve the problem because now you took a problem of social distancing inside the store and put it outside the store. So that’s not the solution. We think a better solution is for folks to come shopping one at a time when they can.”

If individuals can’t come alone due to family or child care issues, exceptions will be made, Pesce said in an email. “We understand there will be people who can’t abide. [We’re] asking consumers to use common sense during a difficult time.”

Gov. Ned Lamont’s executive orders to limit social and recreational gatherings don’t apply to retail, according to a spokesperson for the governor’s office. 

Part of the impetus for this voluntary statewide recommendation came from the city of Norwalk, which has more than 270 COVID-19 cases. City leaders there wanted more aggressive statewide crowd limits and called on retailers to come up with a statewide plan. 

Some stores have already been taking social distancing precautions. 

In an email, Stop & Shop spokesperson Maura O’Brien said stores have added signs inside asking customers to remain a safe social distance apart, installed floor markers at registers to “delineate to customers how far 6 feet is from another individual” and put up plexiglass guards at registers and pharmacies “to add additional protection for our associates and customers.”

Last week, Rhode Island enacted an even stricter measure than the one recommended by the Connecticut Food Association. That state is limiting customer access to no more than 20% of a retail building’s fire capacity.

Patrick Skahill is the assistant director of news and talk shows at Connecticut Public. He was the founding producer of Connecticut Public Radio's The Colin McEnroe Show and a science and environment reporter for more than eight years.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

Related Content
Connecticut Public’s journalism is made possible, in part by funding from Jeffrey Hoffman and Robert Jaeger.