© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

The shutdown is over, but some aid programs Americans depend on still face delays

A MARTÍNEZ, HOST:

The government shutdown affected federal assistance programs such as SNAP and Head Start. WPLN's Cynthia Abrams reports on the impact to a lesser-known lifeline.

CYNTHIA ABRAMS, BYLINE: The shutdown ended on November 12. But back when the government was still closed, mother of two Denise Simpson visited Nashville's Metro Action Commission, a local agency that helps people in poverty. Simpson is a SNAP recipient. And without that federal food aid, costs were mounting. Those benefits have since resumed.

DENISE SIMPSON: It's been tough, especially being a mother of two boys and one of them being special needs. And he requires so much. It's hard to be able to take care of your family that's needed.

ABRAMS: Simpson is applying for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program, otherwise known as LIHEAP. The federal program that's administered through states provides one-time payments to people who need help with their gas or electric bills. Simpson says she needs that help, especially as temperatures drop, to keep her family secure.

SIMPSON: I don't care what nobody says, you have to be supermom with assistance. It takes a village.

ABRAMS: But weeks after applying, Simpson hasn't heard back. That's because during the shutdown, none of the funds from LIHEAP were disbursed. In Tennessee, that's roughly $72 million.

LISA MCCRADY BEVERLY: As the program was delayed, the more families found themselves in crisis.

ABRAMS: That's Lisa McCrady Beverly, who works for Metro Action.

BEVERLY: And then during all of this, we had the disruption as it relates to SNAP. And so when you have all of those different scenarios with families or individuals whose incomes are already very, very limited, it exacerbates the situations that they're already having to deal with.

ABRAMS: As families face a delay, a spokesperson for the Department of Health and Human Services, which releases the funds to states, tells NPR News that it is, quote, "moving swiftly to distribute annual awards." An HHS official not authorized to speak publicly said the funds should be released by the end of the month. But Tennessee still hasn't received them. Meanwhile, residents are in need. So far in November, the state has received close to 13,000 applications for utility assistance.

For NPR News in Nashville, I'm Cynthia Abrams.

(SOUNDBITE OF FUUBUTSUSHI'S "BOLTED ORANGE") Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by an NPR contractor. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.

Cynthia Abrams

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.