© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations
WNPR News sports coverage brings you a mix of local and statewide news from our reporters as well as national and global news from around the world from NPR.

Benefits Of Renovation Expected To Last Beyond 2017 Connecticut Open

With the tournament scheduled to begin on August 18, final preparations are being made for the 20th annual Connecticut Open in New Haven. And the tournament’s director believes they will have a lasting benefit for the U.S. Open tune-up event.

Anne Worcester has been in charge since the 1998 inaugural event in New Haven — then called the Pilot Pen. She convinced the state to step in as a backer in 2015 after Pilot Pen left. Since then, it’s put about $2.5 million dollars into the Connecticut Tennis Center. The final stage of the project’s three phases has just been completed.  

“Lastly,” Worcester said, “physical improvements that make the building more multi-purpose year-round so that we can rent the building out for corporate events.”

Adding revenue streams like that, plus additional improvements like building administrative offices to keep everyone on-site and converting electric power to gas, save the tournament between $100,000 and $300,000 a year.

“Our whole goal,” Worcester said, “is to make everyone feel that they are not at a temporary facility, but they are at something that is year-round.”

The other phases were completed in the previous two years and included physical updates to the seats and lower bowl, along with retrofitting of the players’ center, locker rooms, and media area.

 

Frankie Graziano is the host of 'The Wheelhouse,' focusing on how local and national politics impact the people of Connecticut.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

Related Content