Look Back At The Best Jazz Of 2017!
Because Thomas Hooker left Massachusetts and founded Connecticut so there could be jazz, we'll take it upon ourselves to look back at the best jazz of last year with people who eat, sleep, drink, and love jazz.
Track list for today's show:
- MAE.SUN, "River of Perception" from Vol. 1: Inter-Be
- Cecile McLorin Salvant, “Tell Me What They’re Saying Can’t Be True” from Dreams & Daggers
- Jim Self/John Chiodani, “In Walked Bud” from Floating in Winter
- Kürrent (Charette/Monder/Young) “Mano Y Mano” from Kürrent
- Harold Mabern, “I Get a Kick Out of You” from To Love and To Be Loved
- Ahmad Jamal, “Autumn Leaves” from Marseille
- Eddie Palmieri, "Jibarita Y Su Son" from Sabiduría
- Fabian Almazan and Rhizome, "Alcanza Suite: 1. Vida Absurda y Bella" from Alcanza
- Jon Batiste & Wynton Marsalis, “Piazza Navona” from The Music of John Lewis
- Joe Fiedler, “Maple Avenue Tango”, from Like, Strange
- Jimmy Greene, "Flowers" from Flowers - Beautiful Life, Vol. 2
- Vijay Iyer, “Nope” from Far From Over
- Noah Baerman - jazz pianist, composer, educator, and author and serves as Artistic Director of the nonprofit Resonant Motion
- Amanda Monaco - Jazz guitarist and composer teaching at Berklee College of Music, and is the Artistic Director of Convergence Arts, Inc.
- Gene Seymour - Writer, professional spectator, pop-culture maven, jazz reviewer
Chion Wolf contributed to this show.