Celebrate The Best Jazz Of 2019!
Since 2014, we've gathered some of our heaviest hitters in the jazz world to talk about the year in jazz. From concept albums to masked musicians to tunes unlike anything you've ever heard, enjoy some great songs from this last crazy trip around the sun!
Here's the playlist, in order of appearance:
- "Dame Lorraine" by Etienne Charles - from the album, "Carnival: The Sound of a People, Vol. 1"
- “Nago-Kongo” by Godwin Louis - from the album, “Global”
- “The Land of Hills” by David Sanchez - from the album, “Carib”
- “Strata” by Remy Le Boeuf - from the album, “Assembly of Shadows”
- “Visions” by Melissa Aldana - from the album, “Visions”
- "Por Que Ma Vie Demeure" by James Carter Organ Trio - from the album, "James Carter Organ Trio: Live at Newport"
- "The Windup" by Branford Marsalis Quartet - from the album, "The Secret Between the Shadow & the Soul"
- “Envisage” by Envisage Collective - from the album, “Reach Out”
- “Never Forget What They Did to Fred Hampton” by Curtis Nowosad - from the album, “Curtis Nowosad”
- Jen Allen - pianist, composer, arranger and educator, and visiting faculty at Trinity College and Bennington College
- Gene Seymour - critic-reviewer for hire, writing pieces for CNN.com's Opinion section, also contributes essays to BookForum & The Baffler
- Noah Baerman - pianist, composer, educator, and founder & Artistic Director of the nonprofit Resonant Motion. He also directs the Jazz Ensemble at Wesleyan University
Colin McEnroe and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.