Tea time: The history of tea, herbal blends, and how chefs cook with tea
Second only to water, tea is the most consumed beverage in the world. But for something we drink so much, we know surprisingly little about it. This week on Seasoned, we learn about tea from local experts. We talk to two tea importers in the state about what tea is, the characteristics of different types of teas, and how to savor the experience of drinking great tea. Plus, we talk to two herbal tea farmers about the benefits of herbal tea, as well as chefs who incorporate tea into their cooking.
- Philip Parda: Co-owner of Savvy Tea Gourmet in Madison, Conn. (You can sign up for online tea tastings here).
- Jim Harron Jr.: Co-owner of Simpson & Vail in Brookfield, Conn.
- Stacey Wood and David Soule: Co-owners of Whole Harmony Farm in Higganum, Conn.
- Tom Kaldy: Executive chef, The Charles in Old Wethersfield, Conn.
- Cheryl Stair: Chef/owner of Art of Eating in Bridgehampton, NY.
Featured Recipe: Hibiscus-Rose Tea Vinaigrette
This show was produced by Robyn Doyon-Aitken and Catie Talarski. Our interns were Zshekinah Collier and Joseph Vazquez.
This episode originally aired April 8, 2021