© 2026 Connecticut Public

FCC Public Inspection Files:
WEDH · WEDN · WEDW · WEDY
WEDW-FM · WNPR · WPKT · WRLI-FM
Public Files Contact · ATSC 3.0 FAQ
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Court Ruling On Popular Weedkiller Dicamba Upends Midwestern Agriculture

RACHEL MARTIN, HOST:

A federal court has rebuked the Environmental Protection Agency and declared that it is no longer legal to spray one of the country's most widely used herbicides. It's causing turmoil in Midwestern agriculture. NPR's Dan Charles has the story.

DAN CHARLES, BYLINE: Four years ago, the EPA gave farmers a green light to expand their use of a weed killer called dicamba. They started spraying it on new varieties of soybeans that had been genetically modified to tolerate the chemical. And from the beginning, it's been hugely controversial. Steve Smith is chairman of the Save Our Crops Coalition, which was set up to fight dicamba.

STEVE SMITH: The problem is the chemistry of this product. It doesn't stay where it's supposed to.

CHARLES: It sometimes evaporates and drifts into neighboring fields or orchards. Damage has been reported on millions of acres of other crops, mostly soybeans.

SMITH: It was predicted, and it was predictable what the outcome would be.

CHARLES: Several environmental groups sued the EPA, saying that the agency violated the law by reapproving those uses of dicamba two years ago. And last Wednesday, a federal circuit court agreed. It revoked the EPA decision. It was early evening in Illinois, and Jean Payne, president of the Illinois Fertilizer and Chemical Association, was outside grilling dinner. She came inside and discovered dozens of messages on her phone. Everybody had questions.

JEAN PAYNE: What does this mean? Can I still use dicamba? What is going on?

CHARLES: That decision has thrown Payne's world into chaos.

PAYNE: Because we are in the middle of soybean production season in the largest soybean state in the United States.

CHARLES: Most soybeans in the country are now dicamba-tolerant. Farmers are ready to spray it. But in Illinois, Minnesota and South Dakota, Payne says, state officials have been clear. The court's decision is the law.

PAYNE: Guys, you need to quit using this.

CHARLES: Other states, though, like Iowa, have told farmers it's still OK to spray dicamba until the EPA tells them not to. The EPA took several days to respond to the court's decision. Late on Monday, it issued an order that bans any further sale of these specific dicamba products. But the agency also says if farmers and professional applicators have already bought dicamba, they don't have to return it. They can spray it instead.

Dan Charles, NPR News. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.

NPR transcripts are created on a rush deadline by an NPR contractor. This text may not be in its final form and may be updated or revised in the future. Accuracy and availability may vary. The authoritative record of NPR’s programming is the audio record.

Dan Charles is NPR's food and agriculture correspondent.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT is an initiative from Connecticut Public, the state’s local NPR and PBS station, to elevate Latino stories and expand programming that uplifts and informs our Latino communities. Visit CTPublic.org/latino for more stories and resources. For updates, sign up for the SOMOS CONNECTICUT newsletter at ctpublic.org/newsletters.

SOMOS CONNECTICUT es una iniciativa de Connecticut Public, la emisora local de NPR y PBS del estado, que busca elevar nuestras historias latinas y expandir programación que alza y informa nuestras comunidades latinas locales. Visita CTPublic.org/latino para más reportajes y recursos. Para noticias, suscríbase a nuestro boletín informativo en ctpublic.org/newsletters.

Federal funding is gone.

Congress has eliminated all funding for public media.

That means $2.1 million per year that Connecticut Public relied on to deliver you news, information, and entertainment programs you enjoyed is gone.

The future of public media is in your hands.

All donations are appreciated, but we ask in this moment you consider starting a monthly gift as a Sustainer to help replace what’s been lost.

Related Content