Satanism: Religion, Philosophy, Lifestyle
Free will, individual responsibility, and the pursuit of happiness: Fundamental tenets of, wait for it... Satanism. While the word conjures up images of fire and brimstone, the truth is a bit more complicated. So why does a religion which celebrates so much what Americans profess to hold dear get such a bad rap?
Clearly the "Satan" thing has something to do with it. But behind the symbolic figurehead of the religion lies a world of surprises few would find offensive. They don't worship the devil, they don't sacrifice animals, they don't condone drug use or any other illegal activity and they do celebrate Christmas, that is, if they want to.
This hour, we speak with senior members of The Church of Satan about one of the world's newest and least understood religions.
- Peter H. Gilmore - Administrator and High Priest of The Church of Satan; author of The Satanic Scriptures
- Ruth Waytz - Magistra in The Church of Satan as well as editor and publisher of The Satanic Warlock
- John Crow - Ph.D. candidate of American Religious History and scholar of new religious movements
- “Are You Having Any Fun?” by Count Basie featuring Tony Bennett
- “I’m Not Anyone” by Sammy Davis Jr.
- “I Want To Be Evil” by Eartha Kitt
Colin McEnroe and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.