The Nose Drives Alone Past Your Street: 'Pretend It's A City' And 'How To With John Wilson'
Olivia Rodrigo's "drivers license" is in its second week as the No. 1 song in the country, having debuted there last week. It is the first debut single by any artist to hit the Billboard Hot 100 at No. 1 in history.
And: Pretend It's a City is Martin Scorsese's seven-part Netflix documentary series about Fran Liebowitz that's actually also kind of about New York City.
And finally: How To with John Wilson is John Wilson's six-part HBO documentary series of advice and tutorials that's actually also kind of about New York City.
Some other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- Cicely Tyson, groundbreaking award-winning actor, dead at 96
- Cloris Leachman, Emmy and Oscar Winner, Dies at 94
- Bruce Kirby, Veteran Character Actor and 'Columbo' Cop, Dies at 95
- Walter Bernstein, Oscar-Nominated Screenwriter on 'The Front,' Dies at 101
- Freddy the Great Dane, the world's largest dog, has died
- The Jokes About GameStop And The Stock Market Keep Coming, So Here Are The 50 Funniest Ones
"Siri, what is a 'stock'?"
- There's a Metallica/Huey Lewis Mashup Now, Because San Francisco
- The Oscars Are a Mess. Let's Make Them Messier.
Nothing has been normal about the last year, including the movies. The academy shouldn’t try to pretend otherwise. It should see this as an opportunity.
- These are the movies to watch before Oscars night
- The 50 Best Cult Movies
From 'The Room' to 'Eraserhead' to 'Rocky Horror,' these are the best movies to ever inspire deep obsession
- 'Tenet' Is Destined to Become a Cult Movie
With a failed release due to the pandemic, a muted critical reception, and a twisty narrative that demands multiple viewings, Christopher Nolan's 2020 film has all of the elements that eventually lead to niche fandom
- 2021 BBWAA Voting Results Yield No Electees
- Kraft Is Releasing A Pink Candy-Flavored Mac And Cheese For Valentine's Day, And The Internet Is Losing Its Mind
- The Pandemic Has Erased Entire Categories of Friendship
There's a reason you miss the people you didn't even know that well.
- Here's What It Was Really Like to Work at a Women's Website
I felt nothing. So I headed to my desk for another busy day of browsing online sales and waiting to die.
- Carey Mulligan Responds to Variety's Apology for 'Promising Young Woman' Review
- Subway's tuna is not tuna, but a 'mixture of various concoctions,' a lawsuit alleges
- A Reformed Late Person's Guide to Being on Time
Time has become fluid in the pandemic. Except when there's a Zoom meeting.
- Jacques Lamarre - A playwright and director of client services at Buzz Engine
- Irene Papoulis - Teaches writing at Trinity College
Colin McEnroe and Cat Pastor contributed to this show.