Phase One Frenzies; Provocative Predictions; The Bread Boom
May 20th was the long-awaited date in Connecticut when the first phase of reopening began after the Coronavirus caused life as we know it to be put on hold. Offices and malls were allowerd to open with precautions; restaurants, museums and zoos could open outdoor areas as well.
Salons and barbershops were initially part of Phase One, but with no less than 48 hours before they were to open, Governor Ned Lamont announced that the decision to include them in that phase had been reversed. This hour, you'll hear reactions from three stylists, and three restaurateurs who readied their patios for the reopening.
Then, you’ll hear from three big thinkers about predictions they made back in Politico back in March, and how those predictions have stood up over all this time.
Finally, in our "Comfort" segment, you’ll meet a bread baker who tells us about One Bread to Rule Us All, and an 11-year-old on whether or not she sees this pandemic as a defining point in her life.
- Bo & Gosia Barczyk are co-owners of Green Lotus Salon & Wellness in Cromwell
- Thomas Mitchell is the co-owner of 180 Barbershop in Manchester
- Sophie Tong is a stylist at Fringe Hairworks in West Hartford
- Doug Grabe is the co-owner of Little Pubin Fairfield, Cos Cob, Old Saybrook, Wilton, and Stratford
- Stella Jagne is the owner of Stella’s and Maizie’s in Hartford
- John Harris is the owner of White Horse Country Pubin New Preston
- Astra Taylor is a documentarian, a writer, and the founder of The Debt Collective
- Virginia Heffernan is the co-host of Trumpcast from Slate, and she’s a writer for the LA Times and Wired
- Mary Frances Berry is the Geraldine R. Segal Professor of American Social Thought, and a professor of history at the University of Pennsylvania. She is also the former chairwoman of the United States Commission on Civil Rights
- Don Dickeyof West Hartford has been teaching the art and science of bread baking for 35 years
- Haley is an 11 year-old from New Haven
Catie Talarski contributed to this show.