Community Conversation: Police-Community Relations
Two recent police shootings in Connecticut highlight, once again, tensions between police and the public.
As lawmakers debate ways to hold police accountable, residents wrestle with trusting law enforcement. What issues need be addressed to mend relationships and build stronger communities?
This hour, we listen back to a conversation we hosted with community members at the Arroyo Recreation Center at Pope Park in Hartford.
- Greg Brown - Friend of Anthony Jose "Chulo" Vega Cruz; founder of the Justice for Chulo Facebook group
- Rodney Williams - Uncle of Paul Witherspoon
- Anthony Campbell - State inspector with the New Haven State’s Attorney’s Office; former chief of the New Haven Police Department
- Joshua Fee - Student at Hartford’s Classical Magnet School; member of Hartford Communities That Care’s Youth Leadership Academy
- Sgt. Steven Austin - Sergeant with the Hartford Police Department
- Iran Nazario - Founder/CEO of the Peace Center of Connecticut
Carmen Baskauf and Catie Talarski helped produce this conversation, which was edited for time.