The Nose Does Weird Deer [Stuff]: Deepfaked Bourdain, Black Rifle Coffee Company, And ‘Sweet Tooth’
The disclosure that a new documentary about Anthony Bourdain uses an artificial intelligence-generated version of his voice for three lines of its dialogue has raised a number of questions of ethics. Are documentaries journalism in the first place?
And finally, this paragraph will take a bit of a turn at the end: Sweet Tooth is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi fantasy drama series on Netflix. It is mostly set following a devastating viral pandemic, and the main character is a 10-year-old boy who is half deer.
Some other stuff that happened this week, give or take:
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: ‘If you don’t like it, you can go somewhere else’
- How Shakespeare Became an American Icon
- Will We Ever See a ‘Star Wars’–MCU Crossover?
- The Spirit of the ’80s Is Alive and Crying on John Mayer’s New Album
- In second Honors this year, Kennedy Center to recognize Joni Mitchell, Bette Midler, Lorne Michaels, Berry Gordy and Justino Díaz
- An increasingly popular way to be buried: Become part of an artificial reef
- With ‘Black Widow’ ticket buying suddenly drying up, growing questions for Disney’s Marvel about what did it in
- Blaming Disney+ for the ‘Black Widow’ Drop Was Not a Smart Argument
- Why I Still Love the Office
- Where Have All the Sports Movies Gone?
- The Resurgent Appeal of Guinness World Records
- Why Does Jeff Bezos’ Rocket Look So Much Like a Penis? We Asked a Rocket Scientist.
- Eric Clapton Will Not Play Shows Where Proof of Vaccine Is Required
- Netflix’s Subscriber Base is Growing, But Not In North America
- Sean Penn Line In Sand: Won’t Return To Watergate Series ‘Gaslit’ Unless All Cast & Crew Get Mandatory Covid Vaccinations
- Neckties Are the New Bow Ties
- Pack It In, Everyone, Dolly Parton Now Owns Hot Girl Summer
- Irene Papoulis - Teaches writing at Trinity College
- Bill Yousman - Professor of Media Studies at Sacred Heart University
Colin McEnroe and Cat Pastor contributed to this show.