Understanding the Human Microbiome
We’re finally going to do a show about you! And when I say this, I’m not talking to the people listening, but to the microbes living in their armpits and belly buttons. This hour, we tell the humans what you little guys have been doing for them all along -- and how much more you might be able to do with a few tweaks from science.
Listen to Julia Pistell's ADORABLE collection of kids and adults guessing about the lives of bacteria and microbes:
- Carl Zimmer - Science writer and columnist for The New York Times
- Rob Dunn - Biologist and writer in the Department of Biological Sciences at North Carolina State University
- Julie Segre - Senior Investigator at the National Human Genome Research Institute, which is part of the National Institutes of Health
- “Germs” by Weird Al Yankovic
- “You Gotta Have Skin” by John Lithgow
- “Your Body is a Wonderland” by John Mayer
Lydia Brown and Chion Wolf contributed to this show.